Native Apps vs. HTML5 Web Apps: Battle Royale… or is it?

Nơi chia sẻ thảo luận các vấn đề liên quan đến kiểm thử trên Andoird
Forum rules
Nơi chia sẻ thảo luận các vấn đề liên quan đến kiểm thử trên các thiết bị Andoird
tvn
Admin

Native Apps vs. HTML5 Web Apps: Battle Royale… or is it?

Post by tvn »

August 9, 2012 — anuragkhode

Mobile app devel­op­ers are com­monly asked to cre­ate apps which stream videos, dis­play fluid ani­ma­tions, play music, inte­grate with social media out­lets like Twit­ter and Face­book, and inte­grate with device-specific capa­bil­i­ties. They’re also tasked with cre­at­ing apps that oper­ate prop­erly regard­less of which device, OS or plat­form it’s run­ning on. In many cases, if the devel­oper wants to achieve all these require­ments, they have to lever­age a num­ber of dif­fer­ent devel­op­ment tech­nolo­gies and envi­ron­ments in addi­tion to obtain­ing mul­ti­ple SDKs and learn­ing new script­ing lan­guages for indi­vid­ual OSs, caus­ing delays in deploy­ment and increased resource expenditures.

In comes HTML5 which devel­op­ers are pro­gres­sively accept­ing as a rem­edy for devel­op­ment headaches and a way to suc­cess­fully nav­i­gate through the extremely frag­mented mobile ecosys­tem. HTML is a pro­gram­ming lan­guage used to present inter­net con­tent in a man­ner that is usable by mul­ti­ple devices. The most recent ver­sion of the stan­dard, HTML5, enables cross-device com­pat­i­bil­ity by allow­ing access to mobile con­tent and web apps through any internet-connected device.

What does this mean for mobile devel­op­ers? They can now cre­ate one code that is cross-device, cross-platform, cross-OS and cross-browser com­pat­i­ble. This “write once, run any­where” advan­tage makes it so that devel­op­ers can mit­i­gate the need to write indi­vid­ual codes for iOS, and another spe­cific to Android (and all its var­i­ous OS ver­sions), and another tai­lored for Black­berry, and another for… you get the point. This greatly reduces the costs of devel­op­ing, test­ing and rolling out new web­sites and apps.

Mobile devel­op­ers are begin­ning to favor HTML5 as a devel­op­ment plat­form of choice for many rea­sons. Some use it because it allows seam­less inte­gra­tion and inter­ac­tiv­ity with mobile devices and its native fea­tures, pro­vid­ing end-users with a richer, more com­plex user envi­ron­ment. For exam­ple, devel­op­ers are able to exploit device-specific func­tion­al­i­ties such as the cam­era, speaker, micro­phone, accelerom­e­ter and the LBS tech­nol­ogy. Oth­ers like it because it allows them to bypass the app store approval process. Once devel­op­ers cre­ate, test and final­ize their web apps, they can deploy it sim­ply through a URL. After deploy­ment, they’re able to quickly update the web apps with fea­ture enhance­ments and resolve issues with­out hav­ing to go through an app store re-approval process which results in delays and large expenses – and end-users can still access the updated web app through the same URL. Instant deploy­ment and not requir­ing users to down­load and install the app helps to speed up time-to-market and more impor­tantly, ROI.

There is a great debate about devel­op­ing native apps vs. HTML5 web apps. For enter­prises, the ben­e­fits of HTML5 web apps far out­weigh the lim­i­ta­tions. Imag­ine this scenario:
An enter­prise orga­ni­za­tion devel­ops a native iPhone app for a CRM appli­ca­tion. After months of solid devel­op­ment and test­ing efforts, they sub­mit it to the App Store for approval. After an addi­tional sev­eral months of cor­re­spon­dence and con­tin­u­ous updates to com­ply with Apple’s guide­lines, the app is finally approved. Then, Apple updates their SDK which cre­ated mul­ti­ple bugs, fur­ther delay­ing the CRM app release. Con­cur­rently, the orga­ni­za­tion real­izes that the code which enables the iPhone to inter­face with their core data had lim­i­ta­tions which would take major effort and resources to over­come, maybe even requir­ing a rebuild of the entire app. And, every time the enter­prise wanted to add new enhance­ments and func­tion­al­i­ties, it becomes costly and time-consuming since they would essen­tially have to begin the devel­op­ment and rig­or­ous test­ing efforts from scratch. Finally, the app is approved, launched, avail­able and is a big hit in stream­lin­ing busi­ness processes so now, employ­ees and cus­tomers alike are request­ing Android and Black­berry ver­sions of the CRM app, requir­ing more time and resources.

Enter HTML5. Devel­op­ing the same app in this envi­ron­ment would have pro­duced a “one-size-fits-all” web app which would work on the iPhone, iPad, Android, Black­berry, among other devices regard­less of OS – achiev­ing the look and feel of a native app across all plat­forms. With HTML5, orga­ni­za­tions can quickly and eas­ily develop and release fea­ture enhance­ments and resolve bug issues while enabling cus­tomers to access the CRM app as usual – through a URL. Gone are the days of app store approvals, delays, large expenses and resource com­mit­ments each time the orga­ni­za­tion wanted to roll out a new or enhanced fea­ture or resolve issues.

As enter­prise orga­ni­za­tions evolve to sup­port more than one device plat­form com­pounded by the grow­ing BYOD trend, along with cost and resource con­sid­er­a­tions, devel­op­ing employee– and customer-facing HTML5 web apps seems to be the less pro­hib­i­tive option in the native app vs. HTML5 web app debate, doesn’t it?

Nguồn: http://www.mobileqazone.com

Return to “Android Testing”